B.C.A - 103: BASIC ELECTRICALS & ELECTRONICS
Total: 50 Hrs
1. Network theorems: Introduction - Kirchoff's law: Loop and node method ofanalysis. Norton’s Theorem. Superposition Theorem - Thevenin's Theorems - Maximum Power Transfer Theorem - Reciprocity Theorem - Delta/Star and Star/Delta Transformation. (6 Hrs)
2. A.C. Fundamentals : Alternating voltage and current – Sinusoidalalternating voltage and current - Generation of altering voltages and currents - Equation of alternating voltage and current - important a.c. terminology and their important relations - Values of alternating voltage and current - Peak value Average value- Average value of sinusoidal current - R.M.S. or effective value - R.M.S values of sinusoidal current - importance of R.M.S. value of sinusoidal current – Importance of R.M.S values - Form factor and Peak factor
- Phase, Phase difference – Representation of alternating voltages and currents
- Phasor representation of sinusoidal. quantities, Phase diagram of sine waves of same frequency - Addition of alternating quantities, Phasor diagram using
R.M.S values (6 Hrs)
3. R-L series circuit - Impedance triangle - Power factor - True power andReactive power - Significance of power factor R-C series circuit - R-L-C series circuit. (4 Hrs)
4. Polyphase Circuits: Polyphase system - Reasons for use of 3-phase system-Elementary 3-phase alternator - Some Concepts - Interconnection of three phases - Star or Y-connection - Voltage and Current in balanced Y-connection – How to apply load? Delta or Mesh connection - Voltages and currents in balanced delta connection - Advantages of star and delta connected system.
(6 Hrs) 5. Semiconducting Devices: Atomic Structure, The Electron, Energy BandTheory of Crystals, Semiconductors, Diode Characteristics, Diode Forward Resistance, The Halfwave Diode Rectifier, The Full Wave Diode Rectifier, Full Wave Bridge Rectifier, Ripple, Ripple Factor, Shunt Capacitor Filter, Voltage Regulation, Zener Diode, Zener Diode Voltage Regulator. (6 Hrs)
Operational Amplifiers: The Ideal Operational Amplifier, Saturable Propertyof an OPAMP, The Comparator, The Inverting OPAMP Circuit, The Non Inverting OPAMP Circuit, OPAMP Characteristics, OPAMP Applications.(5 Hrs)
- Number systems, logic and gates, flip-flops and registers:
Decimal System, Binary Number System, Octal Number System, Hexadecimal Number System, Binary Addition, Binary Subtraction, Fractional Numbers, binary coded decimal numbers, Boolean Algebra, Logic Gates, Digital IC families DTL, TTL, ECL, MOS, CMOS, A Half Adder, A Full Adder, Counters.
8. Sinusoidul, Square Wave Oscillators:Working of RC wien Networkoscillator, crystal oscillator, astable multi vibrator using op amp. (4 Hrs) 9. IC Timer Circuits:The IC - 555 timer, 555 as a mountable multivibrator,555 timer applications (2 Hrs) 10. Communication Systems:Basic Block diagram of communicationsystem. Need for modulation, definition of amplitude modulation and frequency modulation. Expression for amplitude modulated wave and frequency modulated wave, comparison between AM & FM Modulating and demodulating circuits. (5 Hrs)
- Hughes: Hughes Electrical & Electronics Technology, 8/e. Pearson Education
- Storey: Electronics: A Systems Approach, 2/e Pearson Education
- Millman and Hawkies : Integrated Electronics, TMH Publication (1999)
- Sedra / Smith : Microelectronic circuits, Oxfprd University press (1998)
- Allen Mottershead : Electronic Devices and circuits : PHI Publications (1997)
- Kennedy and Davie : Electronic Communication systems, TMH Edition IV (1998)
- Driscoll and Cognation: Op Amplifiers and liman integrated circuits, PHI Publications. (1990) Horwitz : Art of Electronics (1990).
- Spencer: Introduction to Electronic Circuit Design Pearson Education 2003
- Witte: Electronic Instruments, 2/e. Pearson Education 2004
Tomasi: Electronic Communications Sys