Subject Code: 1.5
Contact Hourse: 50 Hrs Work load: 4 hrs per week
Objective: To make students knowledgeable about communication skills
Pedagogy: Lecturers, Assignments, Projects, Practical Exercises and Seminars.
Module – I
Business Correspondence: Business Letter for all occasions, memorandum, Special Time Saving, Message media: Telephone, Telex, Fax, etc.
Module – II
Business Writing Principles: Completeness, Conciseness, Correctness, Consideration, Concreteness, Clarity, Courtesy, Exercises, on each of the components.
Module – III
Oral Communication: The Characteristics of Face to face exchange. Oral Statement, preparation delivery.
Module – IV
Planning and conducting of Interview, talking to groups at work. Effective listening exercises in oral communication.
Module – V
Group communication: Introduction –Meaning and definition of Group, Advantages of Group Decision Making – Discussion –Technique of group decision making (Committee meeting, command meeting, Brainstorming session, Nominal group technique, Delphi technique only meaning)
Meetings and documentation: Meeting in business types of meetings - notice - agenda - minutes - writing of minutes - conduct of meetings - methods of minute keeping - duties and responsibilities of chairman and secretary seminar, conference, symposium, convention, workshop.
Module – VI
Report writing - what is report - difference between reports and other forms of writing - purpose of report - kinds of reports - objective of the reports - writing a report - basic and subsidiary parts of a report - long and shorts reports.
(15 hrs) Suggested Books:
- Effective Documentation and Presentation by Rai and Rai. Himalaya publications.
- Communication in Business by Shirley taylor. Pearson Education
- Business Communication by P D Chaturvedi, Mukesh Chaturvedi. Pearson Education
- Modern Business Communication by Madhumati Kulkarni, R. Chand and Company
- Effective Business Communication by Murphy & Peak.
- Business Communication Pradhan by Monai, Bhende & Thaker
- Communication in Modern Organizational by Verhaman