Total Hours: 50 Work load 4 Hrs/ week.
Pedagogy: Lectures, Seminars, Assignments, Cases etc
Objective: To create awareness into the minds of the students to understand the basic principles of financial accounting and management
Module – I
Introduction – definition of accounting, scope and functions of accounting, accounting terms, users of accounting information, accounting concepts and conventions, Indian accounting standards and international accounting standards
(4 hrs) Module – II
Process of accounting – the account debit and credit, the journal, the ledger, trial balance, closing entries, adjustment entries, preparation of final account, trading account, profit & loss account, balance sheet. Adjustments- closing stock, outstanding income and expense, prepaid expenses/income.
Module – III
Subsidiary books- purchase book, sales book, purchase return book, sales return book, cashbook: single column, double column and three columns petty cash book, bank reconciliation statement.
Module – IV
Partnership account:- capitial accounts, fixed and fluctuating system, profit & loss appropriation account, final account- trading account, profit & loss account, balance sheet, adjustment- closing stock, outstanding income and expenditure, prepaid income and expenditure, depreciation & appreciation of asset only. Depreciation: fixed percentage method, balance method.
(14 hrs) Suggested Books:
- Advanced Accounting by Shukla M.C & Grewal T.S, S.C.Chnad and Sons.
- Advanced Accounting by Pillai Bhagvati.
- Advanced Accounting by S.N.Maheshwari.
- Accountancy : By B. S. Raman, United publishers, Mangalore.
- Financial Accounting: by Arulanandam and Raman, Himalaya Publication house.
- Accounting for Managers by Kuppapally.
- Basic Accounting by Sofat & Hiro.
- Financial Accounting for BBA:- Dr. S N Maheshwari & Sharad K Maheshwari