Total hours: 50 Workload: 4 hours per week
Pedagogy: Lecturers, Assignments, Cases etc.
Objectives: To teach the students, the fundamentals of the research to introduce the students the applied research techniques.
Module – I
Foundation of Research
- Meaning and Definition Scientific Method, Research and Theory, Theoretical models, objectives, functions, applications, limitation of business research.
- Types and methods of research : Classification of Research, Pure and applied research, explanatory, research, descriptive research, casual research, diagnostic study, evaluation studies, action research, experimental research, statistical method, historical research, case study, field studies.
- Research Process.
Module – II
Sources of research data:
- Primary data v/s Secondary data, Sources of secondary data, providing secondary data in India.
- Survey research – the nature of survey research, criteria for selection of survey methods.
- Experimentation, experimental designs, laboratory experiments, field experiment test marketing.
- Sources of secondary data.
Module – III
Measurement Techniques :
- Questionnaire design, steps in construction of a questionnaire, with illustration.
- Attitude scales, rating scales, Issues in designing attitudes scales, perceptual mapping.
- Qualitative Research : Depth interview, projective techniques, observation and physiological measures.
Module – IV
Sampling process, census v/s sample, characteristics of a good sample, the sampling process, sampling distribution, sample size determination methods of determining sample size.
Module – V
Data reduction and analysis, editing, coding. Testing of hypothesis, different types of hypothesis, decision table type I & type II error, level of significance, power of test, testing of mean and proportions for small and large sample (2 and 7) chi square test for goodness of fit and independence of attribute.
Module – VI
Report:- Marketing Research report format, Do’s and Don’ts in report writing.
(5 hrs) Suggested books:
- Methodology of Research in Social Science by O.R. Krishnaswami, M. Ranganathan; Published by Himalaya Publishing House
- Research Methodology (methods & technique) by : C.R. Kothari Published by WISHWA PRAKASHAN
- Marketing Research by : Donald Tull and Hawkins; Published by L Presentice Hall India
- Marketing Research by : G.C. Beri; Published by : Pretice Hall